John Wayne Casserole Recipe
John Wayne Casserole Recipe Time! So this is a great recipe that I decided to try the other night, because I needed to use some ground beef and vegetables before they went bad. It was an easy recipe and it tasted even better.
- 2 pounds ground beef, browned, crumbled and drained
- 1 1-oz. packet taco seasoning
- ¾ cups water
- 1 small onion, sliced thin in about 1 inch pieces
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced thin in about 1 inch pieces
- 2 ¼ cups Bisquick mix
- ⅔ cup water
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- ½ cup sour cream
- 8 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 2 Roma tomatoes, sliced thin
- 1 4-oz. can green chiles
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Lightly spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a 12-inch skillet brown the ground beef until thoroughly cooked, then drain and return to the skillet. Add ¾ cup water, the taco seasoning packet and bring to a boil. Add the onion and the peppers. Turn down the heat and simmer for three to five minutes, or until the onions and peppers begin to soften. Set aside
- In a small bowl mix together the biscuit mix and ⅔ cup water to make a soft dough. Press the dough into the bottom and up the sides about ½ inch in the prepared baking dish. The dough was a little sticky so I used parchment paper to press it out on the bottom, and I used a spatula to bring it up the sides.
- In a small bowl mix together the mayonnaise, the sour cream and half the cheese. Set aside.
- Spread the ground beef mixture evenly over the biscuit layer. Evenly layer the sliced tomatoes over ground beef mixture. Next, evenly layer the green chilies over the tomatoes. Finally, evenly spread the sour cream mixture over the green chilies. Top with remaining cheese.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until edges are lightly browned.
Enjoy this John Wayne Casserole Recipe. Check out more recipes from Arcola Feed’s blog here.